How to Clean a Glass Bong or Water Pipe in 5 Easy Steps
Posted by Jack Daniel (Edited by Jay Dreadhead) on 10th Jul 2017
Remember the day you got your bong? Remember the pure joy and anticipation that you had just thinking about packing that first bowl and feeling that sweet chug as the flavorful smoke rose toward your anxious lips? Remember? The Dab Lab remembers…You wouldn’t be satisfied with dirty, moldy herbs. So you shouldn’t be satisfied with a dirty bong either. This easy to follow guide for keeping your bong clean is all you need to know to keep that glass looking gorgeous.
A Clean Bong Is a Happy Bong – Here’s How to Care for Your Glass
1. Carefully dump out the dirty bong water.Fill with clean, warm water, swish it around, and dump that out. When filling, use both the mouthpiece and the downstem. You can repeat this if you feel that you need to.
2. Pour in your chosen cleaning solution. We are aware that some people still use rubbing alcohol and table salt to clean their glass bong, but we are here to tell you that you do not need to use such harsh products. Dark Crystal Cleaning Solution is 100% organic, made from plant materials. It can be heated up before use to break through the crustiest resin globs, and is reusable. The Grunge Off Super Soaker is a proven product for glass bong maintenance as well, and Formula 420 has been around for more than 2 decades! Not many smoke shop products or brands can say that. These products were formulated specifically for cleaning glass, and they work, and we are proud to offer them to you!
3. Soak n’ shake! If you are dealing with some heavy resin buildup inside the water chamber and/or downstem of the bong, you may want to let the cleaning solution sit and soak in the glass bong for an hour or so. Then a good shake will usually dislodge any and all chunks of nastiness. Here is where the brilliantly simple product Resolution Cleaning Caps comes in so handy. These universal fit silicone caps sit snugly over the mouthpiece and joint of your glass bong after you add your cleaning solution, giving an airtight seal and allowing you to turn your piece upside down and shake-shake-shake without fear of making a huge smelly mess. Particularly stubborn spots – like a dirty downstem - can sometimes be reached with a nylon pipe brush. We’ve got a variety of sizes at rock bottom prices to help you keep your glass looking new.
Still got a hard to reach spot that needs a scrub? Try these awesome Magnetic Bong Scrubbers by SCRUBBERZ. One goes inside the tube, and you hold the other on the outside. The magnetic attraction between the two allows you to navigate the scrubber throughout the chamber and tube of your glass bong, eliminating any tricky stains. Make sure that the Magnetic Bong Scrubber will easily fit inside both the tube and chamber before using it.
4. Once all resin is broken down and floating or dissolved in the cleaning solution, dump it all out and repeat the first step for a final rinse. If your glass is still a bit foggy, add a splash of fresh cleaning solution and one or two more swirls should clear it right up, then dump that out and rinse one more time with fresh filtered water.
5. If you plan to use the bong right away, fill it to your desired level with fresh, clean, cool,filtered water. If you just plan to store it for a while, leave it dry and just add fresh filtered water right before the next sesh. Filtered water is always recommended over spring or tap water which can leave unsightly water stains on your glass that can be hard to then get rid of. Leaving water (especially dirty water) in your glass bong for too long also runs the risk of mold spores growing inside, which is definitely not good! Keep it clean, buds!
This simple 5 step guide to clean your glass bong is just as easy as it is effective. If you change your water frequently, this entire process only gets easier and all your friends will line up to try to get greens out of your beautiful clean glass.
Recommended Products to Clean Your Glass Bong
- Resolution Silicone Cleaning Caps
- Nylon Pipe Cleaners (assorted sizes)
- Magnetic Bong Scrubbers by SCRUBBERZ
- Dark Crystal Cleaning Solution
- Grunge Off Super Soaker Glass Cleaner
- Formula 420